Monday, September 29, 2008

Knick Knacks, Jim Cracks

I have nothing specific to report now...but here's how it works. See, I've got three or four full-length blog entries muddling about on my laptop or desktop hard drives. Someday I'll get around to actually posting two or three of those (I have a very nit-picky editor).

But in the meantimes, stuff happens...and it tends to fall by wayside. So I'll throw together a little mish-mash of topics that need a brief covering. A kind of "news in brief." The only problem is, the "news in brief" tends to take a couple of hours to write out...and then I'll usually forget stuff anyway.

Regardless I shall plunge ahead...with no fear.

First up there's Europe. For those of you who have been living under a rock (and if you are under a rock, what the hell are you doing? How do you check your MySpace? I want to know more! MESSAGE ME WITH DETAILS!!! LOL!!!), or for those of you who weren't aware because we hadn't told you yet, Erika and I are taking a trip to Europe for 21 days. Starting in Paris, then to Munich, Lucerne, and Rome. Now, my intention is to keep a daily journal of our days in Europe. Whether that happens, and whether I'm able to actually update and post a blog a day...well, that remains to be seen. I shall try...but...I mean...I'll be in Europe, and Erika will no doubt yell at me if I'm hunkered over a laptop surfing the web when I should be gazing slack-jawed at all the artistic majesty and junk around me.

Secondly...well...a couple of months ago I was asked by several extras casting agencies if I would "go nude." I put "hell to the yeah" on those applications...because...well, if someone wanted to pay me to see it, I'd gladly oblige. It's not so much that I'm free-spirited or anything...just really indifferent.

Yesterday I finally got my chance. There was a re-shoot for the upcoming movie "Yes Man," that involved a large conference room filled with naked people...for reasons that seem a little far-fetched to me. Regardless, I volunteered for this nude duty...partly because there was a handsome pay bump...partly because it beats a day of "non-descript New York street pedestrian" that has become my speciality...and partly because I knew there'd be naked chicks there (sorry 'bout that last one Erika...but it had to be said).

Anyhow, I went there with my good buddy Mr. Ben Dunn (also volunteering for the arduous duty), and...well...it was pretty unremarkable. Most people were sporting nude-colored tube tops or boxer shorts, but a few select members of the audience (the ones in the front row, and on the aisles) had to sport pasties, flesh-colored g-strings, and (I don't know how else to phrase this than) a cock sock (no hyperlink...I'll let you use your imagination). I got the boxer short treatment. My only real problem was that I was among the most lily white guys there. But...I mean...just imagine every shape, color, and size person...and they were represented. And I had no one laughing and pointing at any part of my body (that I could detect anyway), so all-in-all...it was a good day.

Let's see...what else...what else... Some quick celebrity gossipy crap -- turns out Tom Hanks is every bit as fun, approachable, and friendly as he appears on camera. Roommate Chad worked on his latest movie, and had nothing but glowing things to say about the guy. I worked an episode of The Office last week, and the people I saw there (Ed Helms, Angela Kinsey, Oscar Nunez, and Steve Carell) were all "bite the insides of the cheeks to keep from laughing" funny. On a 100+ degree day in the valley, Tony Shalhoub of bought the entire cast and crew of Monk (including the extras) ice cream from a nearby store.

Hmm...I had other stuff...but I've completely forgot it. Ack. Oh well...maybe I'll tack them on to the next blog update-y thing. Until then...

*UPDATE* Oh right, I remember one now. I've been privileged enough to view two enigmas up close and personal. The first one is the Verizon Guy, who I got to see from a huge background call being "In The Network." He seemed like a pretty neat guy -- he chatted with a couple of the extras about how being in the commercials was a pretty easy gig. The other enigma was "the banker" from Deal or No Deal. I was standing in the back row of the audience, and I happened to see him exiting from his little booth and heading backstage during one of the breaks. And you know what -- even though the guy is just a black silhouette on the show, the actual banker looks like his persona -- grey haired, sallow sunken-in eyes, white, and kinda' angular in the face. It was almost like the did the guy's make-up even though he's never actually seen in good light. Though, I'm pretty sure all of the caustic things he's credited with are actually Howie Mandel (who is the definition of "artistically corrupt," "dead inside," and "mailing it in" on that show) lashing out at the contestants.

Okay...that's all for now...unless I remember something else and add another update...

No comments:

Post a Comment