Tuesday, May 2, 2006

Best Conversation...Ever...

So, I got to take off from work early tonight, because we found out today that our entire office is going to be relocated to South Carolina...minus the "people currently occupying those positions." I don't know whether to call it "downsizing," "reallocation," "realignment," or "outsourcing" but either way, it leaves me minus one day job as of October 31st.



But that's not what this blog is about. I'll save that for another day...when the odd sensation of losing my job (by October) finally subsides. On the ride home from work, I was privileged enough to overhear a conversation by two men about the good ol' days. This is an actual conversation that I recorded with a digital voice recorder that I happened to have in my bag. Guy #1 is in his late 40s or early 50s, and he's wearing work clothes and a baseball cap with some random "union" on it. Guy #2 is about the same age, in casual office attire, with thick rimmed glasses. He speaks with a heavy lisp...almost sounds like Sling Blade.



Anyhow, here is their verbatim conversation. They'd already covered how much cheaper gas was back in the 60s and the 70s. Did you know gas used to cost a quarter?! WOW!!! Anyhow, here's the tail-end of their conversation:



#1: That's true...that's all true.


#2: Just like what I'm doing now...when I said now...when you speak to other people and your speech and yourself you're telling yourself what you need to know, well I think I know what I'm talking about, what you're talkin' about.


#1: Well, there's nothing wrong with a little communication. Back at ya'.


#2: It used to be much simpler...to...to...divorce the idea of...of freedom in America...from corporate America...now its not so simple--


#1: Thats because of divorce?



(long pause, the bus rattles noisily)



#2: Corporate America has co-opted s-so...in other words, George Bush is...uh...capitalistic


#1: It's capitalistic...it's a capitalistic society.


#2: It is...well that's...y'know


#1: But capitalism has...uh...its own downfall. That's how it goes. If this country grows. You know, its still...I...I think...uh, I think I like living in this country because--


#2: No, I do too...(man #2 stands to exit the bus at his stop) But I wasn't going in...I...(shakes #1's hand) Have a good day.


#1: You too.



Something about that seemed so pure to me. So innocent. So confusing

No comments:

Post a Comment