Thursday, January 19, 2012

My Response to Common Piracy...aw, fuck it

I give up.

I feel like I'm pretty much alone in my point of view...and so many smart folks that I respect tremendously disagree with me. It's at that point when I start saying, "Jesus Christ! No one understands this but me!!!"

Of course, when I find myself saying that I immediately start thinking, "Wait...am I the one who's wrong about this?"

It's like that old poker saying: "If you can't spot the sucker...you are the sucker."

Being wrong happens...and it's usually pretty embarrassing when it does, but this is a forum I use primarily to broadcast embarrassing things about myself (see this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, and this). I mean, I enjoy it when I'm wrong (or proved wrong), and I typically read views I disagree with before I try to digest any consenting viewpoints just to see if I am wrong about something.

I'm wrong a lot. It's rare that I broadcast my wrong-headed views (or the eventual realization that they are wrong), but when it happens, I'm fine with it.

So, am I wrong about SOPA?

I don't know. It's possible. I can't say "Yes" definitively, but I've certainly modified my stance since I first read the thing a couple of months ago. I stand by my support in general, even if the strength of that support has weakened considerably.

I came into this discussion with a lot of knowledge about online piracy -- knowledge that only a handful of people possess (I'm not bragging, it's just that this is a small community comprising the pirates, and the anti-pirates).

So I read SOPA, and it looked fine to me. Pretty good, actually. It was that magic bill that could actually address some of the piracy frustrations I've been faced with at my job, and it looked very good for my employer. It was vague at points, sure, but not more so than any other regulatory bill or law (I mean it's not a technical manual, it's legislation -- there has to be room for interpretation).

Then I started reading what people were saying about it. The law was pretty much universally reviled. It seemed to me that people immediately went looking for "abuse potential," instead of considering the "practical application" (seems everyone assumes that any law passed will be immediately abused to its fullest extent...a view I consider to be quite cynical, and I do not share).
Basically, I thought that people were just getting riled up over nothing. The fear came from a lack of knowledge about online piracy. So I attempted to educate...sharing my unique perspective as "actor," "producer," and "anti-piracy enforcement professional."

I started to notice that powerful tech companies were driving the paranoia. I found myself on the opposite side of my favorite companies (Google, Wikipedia, and Amazon have long been favorites of mine). I found myself defending some asshole Texas Republican, and disagreeing with friends and colleagues that I respect tremendously.

"Fuck," I thought. "Am I missing something?"

I examined the claims of the anti-SOPA crowd:

  • SOPA overreaches.
  • No due process.
  • Piracy is largely the entertainment industry's fault because they failed to innovate (I hate this one -- it's blaming the victim and shitting all over an industry whose product is easier to copy and distribute than any other intellectual property out there).
  • SOPA could close down many legitimate websites.
  • SOPA is unconstitutional.
  • The entertainment industry is making record profits, so obviously they're not being affected by piracy.
  • Piracy numbers are debunked, and over-inflated.
  • SOPA is censorship.
  • Movie stars make too much money anyway.
  • The entertainment industry doesn't want to innovate, since there's more money in the status quo.
  • SOPA wouldn't fix piracy anyway, since people could just enter the IP address of the infringing site.
  • Tech companies would be forced to police their users, placing a unfair financial burden on them.
  • Innovation depends on the open flow of information, and SOPA would destroy that open internet, thereby destroying innovation.
  • Congress is out of touch, and wrote an out of touch potentially devestating bill.
  • Input from the tech industry was ignored.
  • Et cetera.
I'm sure I missed some...but those are the points I recall off the top of my head.

None of them swayed me...and I have an answer for each charge...but I'm frankly tired of defending it at this point.

Like I say, I give up.

I'm not looking for support or sympathy or anything, I don't need encouragement or whatever...I'm just telling you where my head's at.

So where does this put us, now that SOPA is fucked?

A compromise bill could pass, but if it doesn't contain many of the provisions outlined in SOPA, it'll be toothless.
Link
It's also possible that no compromise bill passes...but the populace becomes much less tolerant of piracy than it has been up to this point...and (consequently) more tolerant of piracy enforcement efforts (putting the ugly RIAA lawsuits behind us). However, after the shit went down with Megaupload today, and the response from Anonymous, I think it's unlikely.
On the other hand, the issue could be totally forgotten next week, the news cycle will turn its turny-turn, and piracy will continue as before. If this happens, either the entertainment industry comes up with the magical "innovation that pleases everyone" that can never exist (and has already been attempted by Hulu, iTunes, Netflix), or the industry starts to feel the full impact of piracy and people
(like myself) start to lose jobs.

That would suck, but what can you do, right? There's no competing with internet vigilantism, and I can't convince people on my own...I'm just not eloquent enough.

Plus...fuck it. I could be just be wrong about the whole thing. There's no point in fighting any more.

2 comments:

  1. I got into an argument with a friend about this and it lasted two days and now she pretty much hates me. I'm still with you on this one for the most part, especially about the incredibly cynical attitude coming with all of this criticism, but I also give up. And give up and shut up has never been a motto of mine. But apparently, when everyone thinks you're wrong that gives them the right to talk to you like you're stupid. *sigh* Yesterday was a very long day for me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry to hear that Evan. I've tried to labeling people who disagree with me (maybe "piracy apologists" is the worst I've done), and generally even the friends who disagree with me vehemently have been fairly respectful (with one notable exception from this blog).

    Either way, that's a bummer what happened to you and your friend. I've never really cast myself in a "severe minority position" like this before. I tell you what...it's eye-opening, and not nearly as rewarding as I thought it'd be.

    I figured, "Oh, well, people just don't understand how this works," which is the exact same thing that they all thought. So I was telling them the things I'd seen first-hand, and they were responding with things other people had told them. Since I had no reliable "third-party" back-up (yourself and a few other brave souls excepted), I had to just surrender.

    ReplyDelete