Monday, February 27, 2012

For Your Health! (part 6)

My god...a six-part series about my health problems? How fucking boring am I?

Ugh.

Anyway, I just wanted to share this...which is a round-up of my "symptoms." I have an appointment with my new cardiologist on Wednesday, and hopefully I'll start getting some goddamn answers.

So, as promised, here's the list of symptoms:

  • Occasional (once every few days) episodes of chest pain, numbness, racing heartbeat, disorientation, and a feeling of dread (brought on by caffeine, alcohol, exercise, stress, awkward physical positions, dehydration, lack of food)
  • Occasional headache, disorientation, and feeling of detachment
  • Constant feeling of chest pressure
  • Occasional chest pain
  • Constant feeling of neck pressure / discomfort
  • Occasional loss of appetite
  • Frequent feeling of "shortness of breath", especially during an attack
  • Occasional dry mouth
  • General feeling of fatigue
  • Occasional numbness in extremities
Now, those are some pretty awesome symptoms, if I do say so myself. Fairly comprehensive list.

Just so you know, I threw that whole thing into the WebMD symptom checker, and it spit out this list of 20 possibilities:

  1. Coronary artery disease (I've been told I'm too young for this)
  2. Heart rhythm disorder (my personal choice)
  3. Generalized anxiety disorder (this would be my preferred disease, since it's easier to treat than the actual heart-related diseases)
  4. Atrial fibrillation (just like #2, except more specific)
  5. Panic attack (like #3, except more specific)
  6. Heat exhaustion (in March? Nope. Next)
  7. Supraventricular tachycardia (another heart rhythm disorder...this one is the specific one I singled out a month ago as the most likely, in my inexpert opinion)
  8. Migraine Headache (unlikely...but my mom had them...but they don't explain the main issue regarding the chest)
  9. Asthma (again, unlikely)
  10. Allergic reaction (possible...but unlikely)
  11. Aortic regurgitation (I would have picked this one, but I've had five different doctors give my heart a good stethescoping, and they heard nothing irregular -- plus, the echocardiogram that I had would have seen anything like this...but other than that, it looked like a pretty good fit)
  12. Anemia; chronic (possible...but doesn't fit with all of the most apparent symptoms)
  13. Acute stress reaction (like #3 and #5...it'd be nice if this was it)
  14. Anemia; iron deficiency (I get far too much iron...so it's unlikely)
  15. Excessive caffeine use (I've cut down to 10 oz. of coffee a day, so this is unlikely)
  16. Muscle strain (possible, in addition to the other symptoms...but doesn't explain the heart stuff)
  17. Pulmonary embolism (I liked this one for a while, but I don't have a cough, so it's unlikely)
  18. Anemia (here's the generalized version of #12 and #14...but it's unlikely, since my blood work did not show anything anemic)
  19. Tension headache (nope)
  20. Acute sinusitis (again, nope)
So there we have it. Nothing terribly scary on the list (I consider "cancer" to be the only really scary thing), but nothing super definitive.

Well, hopefully I'll be able to get some stinking answers on Wednesday, and I won't have to waste all this time recklessly speculating.

No comments:

Post a Comment